Arncliffe

Arncliffe
trees in snow

Arncliffe (Old English, earna-clif: eagle cliff) is the largest village in Littondale.

‘The situation of Arncliffe Church is extremely sweet and lovely’, wrote its vicar, William Boyd in 1893. ‘It has no wonderful architectural pretension, but there is a soft repose about its pleasant old tower and a cared for appearance throughout.’ Arncliffe is home to The Falcon, a good old fashioned pub once known as The Shoulder of Mutton; the Amerdale community hall; farm houses and cottages encircling the village green where the annual Fête is held.

It no longer has its Post Office, its school, nor the shop that flourished at the Old Smithy.