Hawkswick

Hawkswick

Or Hauk’s dairy farm is the first village as you come up the dale on the tiny back road; ‘the sunny hamlet of Hawkswick, sheltering under the hill, and trapping every ray of sun that shines in the valley throughout the day.’ (Boyd) There are signs of early medieval ploughing to be seen on Windbank: […]

Arncliffe

Arncliffe

Arncliffe (Old English, earna-clif: eagles cliff) is the biggest village in Littondale. ‘The situation of Arncliffe Church is extremely sweet and lovely’, wrote its vicar, William Boyd in 1893. ‘It has no wonderful architectural pretension, but there is a soft repose about its pleasant old tower and a cared for appearance throughout.’ Arncliffe also has […]

Litton

Litton

Litton, meaning village on a roaring stream or torrent, has a tiny village green. Crystal Beck and Potts Beck pour off the hills to the north of the river, and the Foss (force or waterfall) to the south. Old Litton snuggles below the Foss. Now just one farmhouse and the remains of another called Spital […]

Halton Gill

Halton Gill

Meaning a farmstead in a narrow valley, haugh and gill both mean narrow valley. In the early 17th Century the Fawcett family who had farmed Upper Heselden since the days of the monks gave money for the support of a curate to serve Halton Gill chapel. Two served with great distinction. Miles Wilson, a Cambridge […]

Fox Up

Foxup and Cosh

At the very top of the dale, Foxup means upstream with the foxes. This is where the River Skirfare begins its journey through the dale to join the Wharfe. Until quite recently there were three farms in Foxup, only one remains. The hamlet is only a quarter of a mile from Halton Gill and they […]